Thursday, August 25, 2011

Latest Project

Sorry, I haven't posted anything in the past 2 weeks. My daughter's birthday was last weekend, and that consumed a lot of my time.  I had finished this project before the party, but haven't had the time to blog about it.

I wanted to make this quilt for a wonderful person that I know who is going through a rough time. I wanted her to know how much I cared and I wanted it to be very feminine.

 Here it is. This quilt required a ton of cutting.  I made 12 of the individual blocks that were made up of triangles and squares. I absolutely love the bows that they make.  The tan fabric that I used for the sashing has tiny pink specks in it.  I repeated the same white border around the blocks, and then used this quite striped fabric for the back. 
 Here is a close-up of the individual squares.
 And again, how it might look folded up on your couch or chair.

After doing quite a few quilts, I have discovered that my favorite way to bind a quilt, is to use the fabric from the back and wrap it around the front.  I used to cheat and use my sewing machine to sew down that fabric in the front, but the results I will say look like you "cheated".  Instead, I plop down in front of the tv, and hand stitch the binding down, so the stitch is almost invisible. I used to be nervous that this would come loose in the laundry, but it never has.  It looks professional and clean.  I guess we have to give it up to all those quilters back in the day that did everything by hand; none of it done with a machine.  I also many years ago figured out how to miter the corners quite well.  I should have taken a photo of those corners.  Anyway, I will remember to take more details photos in the future.

I have some curtains to sew for my daughter's classroom, and someone else to make window treatments for. I hope to get some pics of those up soon.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice Pam. I'm sure she will love it and realize all the love that went into making it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks like it was a lot of work! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete