Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Quilts in the kid's rooms

I love creating things for my children; unfortunately I don't think I create enough. I do think it is really sweet when the kids ask me to sew something for them. Hannah asks for new dresses all the time, and Hunter has asked for things on occasion. I loved decorating/sewing things for their rooms especially. Creating quilts is one of the most rewarding sewing endeavors I can think of. You start out with scraps(or large pieces you painstakingly cut) and you end up with this beautiful durable quilt.

Hannah's quilt was designed and finished before we moved into our current house, and before she had even came out of her crib. I fell in love with a swatch of fabric I wanted to make her window treatments out of. It was full of so many colors. I brought the swatch with me to the fabric store and picked out the fabrics in the quilt. This is one of my mother's pieces of advice. Choose a piece of fabric that you love all the colors in. You don't even have to use it in the room, but if you match all fabrics and accessories to it, you will have a pulled together room. I had an amazing time putting this quilt together on the floor of our old tiny house. This was before she was old enough to have an opinion. About a month ago, my almost 7 year old just figured out that I actually made the quilt that has resided on her bed for the past 4 years. That small pillow in a funny position, is made from the fabric of her window treatments, with that cute bally trim around it.



Hunter's quilt is totally boyish. I originally decorated his room with a fireman theme. His window treatments even have embroidered fire trucks driving along the bottom of them(sadly they are now covered up by his bed). He has kind of grown out of the firemen now. I wanted a quilt that wasn't a theme, but had different boy colors that could last him a while. I think blues, reds and tans are classic colors that will last him forever. We can always change out the other accessories in his room, but I would love for this to stay as long as possible. His quilt was done in less than a day, since it is really just large chunks of fabric sewn together, and I quilted it more to give it some interest. It was exactly the look I was going for. It totally matches these painted stripes that are below a chair rail on one wall of his room.



I have sewn many more quilts, but they will come in a separate post. Teaser: baby quilts, photo quilts, throw quilts, even a quilt made out of 3 generations of men's shirts.

No comments:

Post a Comment