Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Boutique Style Dress

A friend of mine wanted me to recreate a dress she saw on Etsy.  I think she plans on having her daughter wear this for her birthday party.  I was given a photo of the dress to use and the color scheme, bright blue and hot pink.   
Here were the fabric samples I picked.  I could not find a pattern for this style dress anywhere or anything similar to it that I could alter. So I began from scratch. I created a few patterns myself, and used my daughter as my model.  Let me tell you she was not thrilled with trying on the dress a million times. I started with left over fabric I had on hand and made a pink and black dress for my daughter.  They are different sizes so that was a challenge as well.  After coming up with a pattern that worked, I moved on to my friend's dress.

Here it is!!!  My daughter actually likes this one better than the one I made for her.

 A full length view with all the details.

 A close up of the monogram.
 A close- up of the fun trim at the bottom. This is my current favorite trim to use. I love the pleats. I think it adds nice weight to the bottom of the dress as well.
Here is a peak of the inside seams. I always try to interlock(similar to serging) so that the seams will hold up in the laundry.  Maybe someday I will buy a serger(that is the way store bought seams are done).  It will prevent fraying.


I am so thrilled with this dress. I was thinking of making myself a peasant style blouse similar to this. I think I might leave off the monogram for mine.  What do you think?

2 comments: