Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Modern Window Treatments

I was asked to sew window treatments for someone who recently moved into a home.  The window treatments that were installed by the previous owner were extremely dated.  She picked out some awesome modern fabric. She recently bought a blue couch that is the same color as the blue accent.  To add to the modern look she decided to use grommets.  I was so excited to try my hand at them..  It was an extremely wide window, so we opted to use an accent fabric to add to the brown fabric.  This way when you close the panels it will look like a blue panel on the inside.

This picture is of one of the panels on my family room window.  Hopefully I can post a picture of the window treatments installed on her windows.  I love how heavy and substantial these window treatments are.  My neighbor almost claimed them for her own house.


   
I adore how these grommets tuned out.  These were a newer product where the grommets are snap on.  I am interested to see how they hold up.  Just for your information(in case you are picking grommets out for yourself)  these are not able to be dry cleaned.  From a cost perspective, grommets are not cheap.  However, they replace drapery rings or clips, if you are going that route.  They probably end up the same price as the drapery rings or clips though.  They only option that might be cheaper would be if you just sewed a rod pocket.  I think the drapery rings, clips or grommets are way more modern though.  These grommets come in every color imaginable.  These are antiqued bronze.
The corners on the inside of the treatments are mitered,.  You can notice as the blue fabric wraps around the back, I used a blind hem, so you would not see the hem.  She picked out black out lining.  That is the white fabric you see in this picture.
Since the blackout lining is rubbery, it is very heavy. I used drapery weights sewn into the bottom hem to add weight to the front fabric.  This way the window treatments will hang nicely.  This picture was taken before the triple hem was sewn up.

No comments:

Post a Comment